Today I made cupcakes, what a lovely way to spend a rainy afternoon. The Hummingbird Bakery cookbook has the most amazing cupcake recipes so I spent most of the morning deciding which ones to make! I found myself umming and aahhing over Red Velvet or Peaches & Cream. In the end I chose Peaches & Cream (due to lack of red food colouring in my kitchen cupboards). The recipe was really easy to follow and judging from the taste, they turned out to be an excellent choice. However, I’m yet to master the art of frosting, but plenty more baking days ahead to experiment with that! The recipe also says to sprinkle with brown sugar, but I used chocolate strands to add my own little touch. Here is the recipe if you want to try them out for yourself….I really think you should!
Peaches and Cream cupcakes:
A classic summer combination – using fresh peaches makes the recipe work so much better. Other fruits in season could be substituted – The Hummingbird Bakery
Cupcake Ingredients (makes 12)-
- 120g plain flour
- 140g caster sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- a pinch of salt
- 40g unsalted butter, at room temp.
- 120ml whole milk
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 400g tinned peaches, sliced
1. Preheat oven to 170C (325F) Gas 3
2. Put the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and butter in a freestanding electric mixer with a paddle attachment and beat on slow speed until you get a sandy consistency and everything is combined. Gradually pour in half the milk and beat until the milk is just incorporated.
3. Whisk the egg, vanilla extract and remaining milk together in a separate bowl for a few seconds, then pour into the flour mixture and continue beating until just incorporated (scrape any unmixed ingredients from the side of the bowl with a rubber spatula). Continue mixing for a couple more minutes until the mixture is smooth. Do not overmix.
4. Divide the sliced peaches between the paper cases so that the base of each case is covered. Spoon the cupcake mixture on top until two-thirds full and bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until light golden and the sponge bounces back when touched. A skewer inserted in the centre should come out clean. Leave the cupcakes to cool slightly in the tray before turning out onto a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
Vanilla Frosting Ingredients-
- 250g icing sugar, sifted
- 80g unsalted butter, at room temp.
- 25ml whole milk
- a couple drops of vanilla extract
1. Beat the icing sugar and butter together in a freestanding electric mixer on medium-slow speed until the mixture comes together and is well mixed. Turn the mixer down to slow speed.
2. Combine the milk and vanilla extract in a separate bowl, then add to the butter mixture a couple of tablespoons at a time. Once all the milk has been incorporated, turn the mixer up to high speed. Continue beating until the frosting is light and fluffy, at least 5 minutes.
Enjoy eating your Peaches and Cream cupcakes 🙂
Post to you soon! xoxo